|Author||Andrew N. Nelson|
|Category||Kanji to English|
|ISBN||0804804087 (boxed hardcover) [COPAC, Webcatplus, Wikipedia]|
Review of The Modern Reader's Japanese-English Character Dictionary (2nd Revised Edition) by Ben Bullock
About 6000 characters covered, this book is useful but has some problems, for instance:
- Kanji which have kun-yomi (native Japanese readings) the same
but different meanings are often bundled by Nelson into just one place
with no information on differentiation of meaning.
- A lot of the entries are just versions of other words in the
dictionary with standard prefixes or suffixes attached to them.
- Some of the meanings are wrong (not many, but some).
- Out-of-date and does not feature scientific or technological
words in much detail.
- Nelson's reorganised radical system is more difficult to use than
the traditional one.
- The book does not have an index based on overall stroke count.
☆ See all reviews by Ben Bullock.